Did you know that worksite health promotion programs can yield a $3 to $6 return on investment for every $1 spent over a 2- to 5-year period?
Source: National Business Coalition on Health Report, January 2010
According to the CDC's The Community Guide
, "Poor employee health results in substantial financial and productivity costs to employers." Full-time employees spend at least a third of their day in the workplace. Using this environment to address health risks may reduce rising costs from preventable conditions. The top medical conditions (i.e., heart disease, cancer, cerebrovascular disease and chronic lower respiratory disease) have shown to be responsive to early interventions that comprehensive wellness programs can provide.
Wellness programs that may help keep your workforce healthy include:
- offering flu shots
- promoting smoking cessation programs
- offering health risk assessments
- providing weight management solutions
- offering fitness programs
- providing stress management solutions
An investment in wellness programs may improve your employees' health as well as serve to curb absenteeism. improve productivity and aid quicker return to work.
In keeping with its mission to improve the health of Louisiana's people, the Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum includes health care measurement and improvement efforts among its areas of focus. These efforts target two specific goals:
- To aggregate, analyze and disseminate health care data to guide improvement in health care quality in Louisiana.
- To engage and support clinicians as they pursue meaningful, specific and quantifiable improvements in health care.
If you would like to be notified about quality-related reports developed by the Quality Forum in the coming months, please sign up for our e-mail blasts and e-newsletter by clicking here.