Did you know that few patients make the most out of their doctors' appointments?
Many people report that they do not have enough time to ask questions or know what to ask, nor do they know what to expect when they go to see their doctor.
Quality health care happens when people take an active role in their own care, becoming partners with their doctors and helping manage their own health. Your doctor may be an expert in medical care, but you are the expert in you. By partnering with your doctor, you can help choose the options that best fit your values, beliefs and lifestyle.
Because the Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum is dedicated to improving the health of people in our state, it includes quality improvement among its main areas of focus.
Here are some suggestions for becoming more informed and involved in your care:
- Become an expert patient.
- Build a relationship with your doctor. Let your doctor know that you want to be a partner in your health care. Share your goals and expectations with your doctor.
- Ask questions and be an active participant in each appointment. Create a list of questions or concerns and take the list to your appointment. Consider asking a trusted person to go with you. If you do not understand something or you want more information, ask your health care provider. They will appreciate your interest in your own care.
- Be involved in making decisions that affect your health. When your health care provider recommends treatment, ask questions about the treatment and information that can help you make an informed decision.
- Ask questions and learn more about quality, health conditions, treatments and ways to stay healthy.
- Do your part to stay healthy by staying up to date with tests, screenings and other preventative care. Manage your conditions and follow your treatment plans. Eat healthy foods, stay active and maintain a healthy weight.